With the January blues kicking in and thoughts of summer in everyone’s mind, this weeks recipe is perfect to bring back summer memories and are perfect for the BBQ when the weather gets better.
- 450 g pork fillet (or lean shoulder) cut into 2 cm slices
- 2 small apples ( cox or braeburn are best) cored and cut into slices
- 2 small red onions, peeled and cut into quarters.
- Any other veg you want on your skewers ( I like to add peppers)
For the Marinade
- 12 sage leaves (for the marinade)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar (or 6 tablespoons of apple juice)
- 1 clove of garlic peeled and crushed
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano or mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper
- 8 bamboo or metal skewers
- Prepare the meat, apples and onions (and any other veggies) as described above and place in a bowl.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl and pour over the pork,apples and vegetables and leave to marinate for 20-30 minutes, turning in the liquid now and again.
- Preheat the grill or light the barbecue.
- Thread the skewers with pork, a slice of onion, a sage leaf and apple: and so on until you have used up all of the ingredients.
- Cook under a hot grill (or BBQ) for about 15-20 minutes, turning regularly and brushing with any remaining marinade or until done to your liking.
- Let the kebabs rest for 5 minutes or so before eating. (we don’t want any burnt tongues)
- Serve with rice or in a warm roll.